The Hall forms part of the Mining Museum in the Lester B. Pearson Civic Centre on Highway 108 in Elliot Lake, about 25 km north of Highway 17, halfway between Sudbury and Sault Ste. Marie.
Elliot Lake, which celebrated its 50th anniversary in 2005, took its place in Canadian mining history in the Cold War era around 1950, when uranium was an important strategic mineral, and the Canadian government posted a reward for a commercial discovery of the metal. Franc Joubin made such a discovery near Blind River, financed in part by Joseph Hirshhorn - now both members of The Hall. The town of Elliot Lake was built for the people developing and operating the mines in the area. Five other members of The Hall played a role in the Elliot Lake development, and their photos and achievements are featured in the display.
The 12 large mines that produced uranium for use in the generation of electrical power in Canada and around the world are now closed and decommissioned with few traces visible to the casual viewer. The town, known widely as “A Jewel in the Wilderness” with a population of 12,000, is now a retirement community, centre for the arts and a tourist destination both winter and summer. The Mining Hall of Fame and Museum is one of several attractions in the town (see the City of Elliot Lake website for more information).